Wednesday 15 February 2017

Heisenberg, Kendo and fear – an alternative view about dan examination.


I have been very often involved in dan examinations – either as candidate or as member of jury or, even more often, as coach and trainer for examinees.
Passing my rokudan and nanadan involved a lot of training and conscious changing of my Kendo, in order to shed a number of attitudes that were not in keeping with the grade. I found myself doing LESS, not MORE, as an effect of preparing and passing my exams – and of course I do not refer to the amount or frequency of keiko. I have been very grateful to process of fail/change/try again I went through, which allowed me to finally achieve what I was really looking for: not the grade itself, but a new step in the evolution of my practice. On this basis, I can continue my quest with renewed energy.
In retrospective, failed examinations (which I experienced only after passing every exam till godan at the first attempt) taught me more than successful ones. I can also recognise that someone might take frustration with less aplomb than I did – I know kenshi who simply gave up trying or, even worse, quit Kendo altogether. I believe there are no bad reasons to start Kendo and only bad reasons to stop, but, as a teacher, I strive to find the words or the actions to help those who are going through a sometimes painful process of failure.
The first consideration I offer comes from a gentleman called Donald Keene. Professor Keene was a world-renown scholar who came once to Bologna to give a lecture to my Japanese language class. I had the honour to listen to him and the topic of the lecture was How to Learn a Foreign Language. He said that in order to conquer a seemingly impossible language (like Japanese) the most important factor was Not to give in to Frustration. Only those who can take the blow, feel the pain and endure the frustration will in the end be able to learn, retain and express themselves. It was not about Kendo, but these words rang so true to me, that I never forgot them. Of course, feel the frustration and DO SOMETHING WITH IT, was the obvious conclusion. Insist, adapt, discover new methods that work for you – this would be true in any learning endeavour. So giving up and hiding under a rock will not help. As the immensely wise Okamura sensei once answered me, when I asked, Should I go take my dan examination?, IF YOU ARE STAYING IN BED FOR SURE YOU WILL NOT PASS.
A category of failing candidates is particularly close to my heart: those who suffer of stage fright. Straight, fast, impeccable in the dojo, when exposed to the examination they turn either in senseless hitting machines or in peevish clusters of fear. What a waste, I think every time. Then I listen to the usual lithany of excuses: I am not good at exams, I get too nervous/agitated/passive/confused, I was not ready otherwise I would have been calmer/more concentrated/more reactive etc etc etc. From here it’s easy to pass to endless discussions about the process of the examination: the fairness, the usefulness, the effectiveness… Why we do not receive a feedback from the jury? What is the purpose? Why am I alive?
This post is written especially for these kenshi. I would like just to offer a different perspective, it might happen this will help someone to conquer this obstacle.
There is an intriguing principle in physics, called the Observer Effect. In very blunt terms, the act of measuring a quantity alters the measure itself. It has been often paired with Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, which has become so popular in nerds’ memes, together with Schroedinger’s Cat, poor thing. I quote from the ever useful Wikipedia:

In physics, the term observer effect refers to changes that the act of observation will make on a phenomenon being observed. This is often the result of instruments that, by necessity, alter the state of what they measure in some manner….The uncertainty principle has been frequently confused with the observer effect, evidently even by its originator, Werner Heisenberg. The uncertainty principle in its standard form describes how precisely we may measure the position and momentum of a particle at the same time — if we increase the precision in measuring one quantity, we are forced to lose precision in measuring the other..

What has Heisenberg to do with Kendo – or with Kendo dan examinations, then? Here is my take on it.
Dan examinations are a form of measurement – and according to this Principle, they are also altering the measure itself: YOU and YOUR KENDO. Here comes the Stage Fright, the sheer panic, the mind that goes blank on the first kata and turns it in a mockery of Gohonme. This is what happens – all the times and to all. No one can truthfully state to go through a dan examination without being affected – because the exam is especially designed to achieve this effect. It will always be like that, doesn’t matter how many times the test is taken, failed or passed: it will always change the mind and the practice of the candidates.
Why then? Why not letting examinees practice supervised for some length, being observed, but without pressure or time limitation? Exactly because the measurement would not be real, since it would not affect the candidates: only under pressure, when being consciously under observation, a kenshi can express the best he/she can do.
So, stop complaining about being scared of examinations: they are exactly meant to do that, learn to live with it and show your best spirit and technique, as if you did not feel the fear – the same fear that will never go away and that also your opponent feels.

As Horibe sensei taught me, Examination is a play. It is meant to be for the Observers, the jury. You must have a script, you must have rehearsed, you have to show your best profile – but still the moment to get on the stage you might be terrified. I wish to say: It is normal – don’t let yourself be distracted by the circumstances, act as if you know what you are doing – and this play will bring you to be better than you think. It is the greatest teaching you can bring from kendo into your life: by acknowledging your fear, you can become wiser and stronger. Not bad as a takeaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment